5 Tips for a Speedy, Healthy Recovery from Liposuction
Liposuction is a frequently-used surgical procedure to remove stubborn fat from the body, including from the tummy, thighs, and buttocks. While thousands of women (and men!) receive liposuction every year to help sculpt their bodies, it IS still a surgery that requires some recovery time to remain healthy and avoid complications.
Here are some ways to achieve a speedy recovery from liposuction in Westchester:
- Have realistic expectations - During your consultation with Dr. James Lyons at Bellava Medspa Westchester, one of the first items you will discuss is whether or not you’re even a good candidate for liposuction. Those who are extremely overweight, have major medical conditions, or are smokers may not be the best candidates. Also, if you expect liposuction to suddenly give you an entirely different body type, then liposuction would leave you disappointed and Dr. Lyons will not recommend the procedure. He may also recommend trying a different technique entirely, such as SlimLipo, a laser lipo alternative instead, which may help you achieve the results you desire.
- Ask a friend or family member to help out – During the first 24 hours especially, you may feel more tired than usual and your incisions need time to start healing. By having a friend available, you can easily avoid lifting heavier items or doing day-to-day activities that might put a strain on your stitches. This is even more helpful if you have children that need to be cared for. While you will still be able to do most of your daily activities, you will find your liposuction recovery a lot smoother if you have help.
- Get plenty of rest – If you follow Step #2, you’ll discover that resting will help you feel more energized during the following days after your liposuction procedure in Westchester. This will help you get back up on your feet and back to normal in no time! As such, you should also avoid strenuous activity that may stress your body too much. Depending on how much fat you have removed and from which areas, you may want to avoid full workouts for 10-14 days after your procedure.
- Follow your doctor’s instructions – This may seem like common sense, but following Dr. Lyons’ instructions is very important. This means not cutting corners and taking the prescribed medications until the end of their cycle. Do not take aspirin, anti-inflammatories, or any other medications during your recovery time because some pain relievers and other drugs may increase swelling, bleeding, and other complications that would prolong your recovery.
- Use ice and elevate - While you are recovering, you may find that ice and elevation help ease any lingering pain or swelling. Your body may treat the area that liposuction fat removal was used on as an injury and try to “fight it,” so ease the transition with ice packs if necessary or elevate the area above your heart by laying back on a couch or bed with pillows to prop up the affected area.
As with any surgical procedure, the most important items are to listen to both your body and your doctor. While liposuction is a common procedure with years of testing, complications may still arise and you should contact Dr. Lyons at Bellava Medspa if you are unsure of how your body is recovering. Never hesitate to ask questions and you will be well on your way to a quick and safe recovery to your new and improved body.
And if you are still deciding whether liposuction surgery is right for you, ask about our SlimLipo procedure. This laser liposuction option still permanently removes unwanted fat, but has a much faster recovery time and is considered safer than traditional liposuction. You can find other liposuction and SlimLipo doctors in Westchester, but not with a veteran like Dr. Lyons, so call today for a free consultation! 914-864-2140